I've been planning to do some software updates to my web server for a while. Over the last couple of days I've been slowly doing bits and pieces - slowly because I had an operation for carpal tunnel syndrome and can't use both hands. So far I've done the following:
- Upgraded Wordpress to the latest version - fairly simple process.
- Automated backups of the site and databases.
- Added Xcache to my PHP installation, which Ubuntu makes a very simple process.
- Installed Awstats - again very simple under Ubuntu.
- Added Google analytics, just to try for a while, using the Google Analyticator WP plugin.
- Added the Google XML sitemap generator WP plugin - Google doesn't seem to have picked this up yet.
- Switched my web server from Apache to Cherokee. Cherokee is designed to be small and fast, and as I've been having some memory usage issues on the server I decided to give it a try. It's a bit of a pain to get working with Wordpress, but I eventually figured out the correct redirection rules and got it up and running. Pages are now being served much faster, and memory usage on the machine is significantly lower.
- Added the TanTan Flickr plugin for Wordpress, which seems to be better maintained than Falbum (which I was using previously).